Movie Review: The Chipmunks go somewhere cheap for The Road Chip

Though four years have elapsed since the release of the third and lowest-grossing Alvin And The Chipmunks movie, Chipwrecked, another sequel became inevitable as soon as the song “Uptown Funk” was released. Beyond the song’s near-instant status as the kind of wedding-playlist fodder that the Chipmunks have been covering in their signature irritating new pitch for decades, the word “funk” rhymes with “munk,” which is the second syllable of the word “chipmunk.” Puns that can be constructed from “chip” or “munk” represent roughly 80 percent of the creative inspiration behind the Alvin And The Chipmunks films. The other 20 percent is the coinage “Squeakquel.”

It makes sense, then, that the trailer for Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip (get it?) proudly shows off a scene where the titular rodents sing a confusing but catchy promise to “uptown munk you up.” It makes far less sense that in that …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *